Texas Girl in Oz

G’day Y’all - Intermittent, Hopefully Comprehensible, Personal Ramblings

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Football


G’day ya’ll,

Four years is a long time for a Texan to go without football. For 30 plus years I was fed on a steady diet of high school, college and pro gridiron. Suddenly I had to go cold turkey wondering what to do with myself on Friday nights, Saturday and Sunday afternoons, and Monday nights. The only games I’ve seen are the Super Bowls and the last two have been a bit boring.

We recently subscribed to cable so I hope to catch a few Cowboys games this year. But I’ve decided that to fit in my new home I should follow local sports. Local sport in this part of the world is Aussie Rules football.

My hubby explained a bit of Australian football history to me. In Victoria football has always been what is now known as Aussie Rules. But in Queensland and New South Wales football was rugby. It’s only been in the last couple of decades that Aussie rules football has branched out into other states.

Aussie rules is as local a sport as it gets. I live in the western suburbs of Melbourne. Therefore, I declare myself a Western Bulldogs supporter.

The Doggies are 6 and 4 so far this season. That’s the extent of my knowledge. I’ll need to do a bit of research and perhaps watch them play a game or two and buy a t-shirt or sweatshirt or some such. Until then I’ll content myself with a www dot cheer. GO THE BULLDOGS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home