Texas Girl in Oz

G’day Y’all - Intermittent, Hopefully Comprehensible, Personal Ramblings

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Yes, We Have No Bananas

I just paid $2.10 for ONE banana at Coles! I hadn’t had a banana in months and I really missed them. It was really difficult, however, to enjoy my banana knowing I paid $2.10 for it.

I’ve gone from a banana a day to a banana every two months since Cyclone Larry hit Queensland and wiped out 90% of the banana crop. The news at the time was along the lines of, ‘Don’t panic. Other banana producing regions of the country will be able to take up the slack. The consumer shouldn’t suffer overly large price increases.’

$2.10 for ONE banana! I heard somewhere that it will take nine months for the next banana crop to be ready for sell. If this is true then sometime in November I’ll go on a banana binge. I logged onto the Australian Banana Growers’ Council Inc.’s home page to see if this nine-month gestation period of the new crop is correct. I couldn’t find that answer but I did find this interesting article. It seems that I’m not the only one missing bananas. Some people have resorted to banana jacking.

Unless a man in a long overcoat approaches me on the street and says, ‘Pssst. Wanna buy a banana?’ I’ll have to wait for November to nosh nanas. Never again will I pay $2.10 for ONE banana!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home